Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Week 7 Lessons From Nicky "Social Skills Trump Academics"

 Social Skills trump academics in my book.  Don't get me wrong academic's are important and I'm not trying to minimize them in any way.  When Nicky was still in elementary school it was his knowledge of his ABC's and words that gave me something to brag about, it was my entree to other kids and adults - it was his only measure of sameness, normality - and I relied on it.  But I never forgot what a far wiser parent had told me "academics are nothing without social skills". In other words if your child can't order food, ask a question, communicate with a friend, catch a bus, control aggression, say hello and goodbye, what difference will it make if he's the best mathematician in the world, he'll be isolated and alone.  

No comments:

Post a Comment